Friday, February 19, 2010
Friday, February 12, 2010
- Excellent reminder from Gavin Ortlund: "God forbid we ever make him more complicated than he makes himself in his word!"
- Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa, will be holding a conference entitled "Calvinism for the 21st Century" April 8-10. You can register now through March 22.
- Steven doesn't see "any reason to be anything but a Calvinist if we do not have libertarian freedom of the will."
- Is "Reformed Baptist" an oxymoron?
- According to Larry, Calvinism "is as impotent in reaching up into heaven and grasping God as is Islam or any pagan religion." Again, let's try to have some understanding about those subjects on which we decide to comment.
- Desiring God offers resources on the doctrines of grace.
Monday, February 08, 2010
Friday, February 05, 2010
- The ever-modest and humble Ken Willis seems to want more hits for his blog. That certainly would explain why he writes the following: "What we know as Calvinism is not the Gospel that was first given; It is a form of fatalistic popery. I am so ashamed that I was seduced by the intellectual appeal of it. I pray God will forgive me for promoting it and leading others into it. All I can do now is try to expose it and call for a deeper examination of the evidence that exposes it. I cannot believe how dangerous it is; I know many in it now hate me and consider me a heretic for opposing it. But I say this and this alone; they hate me not for the God they profess, but for the man they follow." Well, Ken, you're welcome.
- It is pretty bad when an atheist has a better handle on who a Christian is than a "liberal Christian."
- The Seeking Disciple doesn't see faith as a gift from God. After all, we are the ones who do the believing; God doesn't do it for us. That is true, but it is impossible for an unregenerate person to exercise faith. We are saved by grace through faith. And since there is no faith apart from grace, I cannot help but conclude that faith is indeed a gift from God.
- Why do I get the feeling that Dee really thinks most Calvinists are arrogant, self-serving "Calvinistas"?
- Perhaps Dee had run into one too many dysfunctional Calvinists.